Sign in to follow this  
MarteeBe

Bringing out the BanHammer

I'm sure we're all the quickest shot in the West when it comes to throwing down the hammer at those annoying robotic spammers trying to peddle whatever pill is the latest fad, how are you when it comes to your actual members and those within your community?

I feel it is important to take it on a case-by-case basis as each circumstance can be different and produce different outcomes. I may have a member who was always in good stead but is simply just having a bad day and lashing out at other members and causing some issues. Do I ban them straight away in this instance or do I talk to them, give them a warning and send them on their way? It can all depend in my eyes.

What about you? How itchy is your ban hammer?

It all depends on what they did and how they have been in the past really. I'm more likely to ignore smaller offensives and let them get away with just a warning. Bigger offences will, of course, result in bans. I'm more likely to give second chances to established and higher posting users of course as well.

On 4/16/2019 at 1:44 PM, Ash said:

It all depends on what they did and how they have been in the past really. I'm more likely to ignore smaller offensives and let them get away with just a warning. Bigger offences will, of course, result in bans. I'm more likely to give second chances to established and higher posting users of course as well.

An interesting point on things there, why would those who are established get the chance to be treated slightly differently to other members on your forum in that respect then? Not being negative, just merely wondering. My take on things is that all members should be treated equally, regardless of status or time elapsed on my forum. I just don't want anyone to think that being a 'elite' user affords one more privileges merely because they can spend more time posting or buying VIP lol.

Buying VIP would be different. Personally, I wouldn't care if they had donated/purchased VIP. However, in terms of someone that has spent time on the community around, you have to be careful because you could potentially be losing an active member.

It seems wrong to treat someone differently but ultimately, you have to think about your forum and what would happen by potentially losing a member. That doesn't mean they would be exempt from punishment or permanent bans.

Have an eight warning point system is place. Each warning point will offer different outcome. And set it up so that once an member gets more then eight points they get the ban hammer. Seen members get 5 points or less or maybe more at one time, depends on what they did. 

Even if they are VIP members, same goes for them, they gotta obey the rules. Regards getting the account back after an ban! comes down to how long they been ban for and what they did and if you do allow them to come back then consider watching them with post approval.

But @Ash is right regards long term support members, you want them and you do not want to loss them and if they break the rules then you have to think deep. But if they are long term supported members then they shouldn't break the rules as they should know it by there hearts.    

For me, when I consider giving out warnings and bans in particular, I look for things that are particularly against forum rules and potentially distasteful. If it is a long term member, I try to consider what they may have contributed towards the forum, in order to determine how rough I need to be when making a decision to give out a ban, regardless of length. If I feel like I have an issue with determining how to act, I generally go out of my way to talk to others who may have dealt with a similar issue before.