Sign in to follow this  
The Editor

What are the leading social networking site scripts today?

I've seen blogging software. 

I've seen software to make websites. 

I've seen forum software. 

One thing that goes under my radar (or it's probably just not really popular) is social networking website scripts. Do they even exists? Because it surely doesn't feel like they do. It most likely is just me though.

What are some of the leading social networking site scripts available? Free or paid, it doesn't matter. I just want to know about the leading options. 

Yes social networking scripts do exist and i have come across a few, one used to be called dolphin by company called boonex though i hear it is now rebranded into a platform called UNA (una.io). There is another platform called Elgg but i have never tested it so unsure of its feature set and again one final one i came across is called OpenSource Social Network, again never tested its feature set.

I have tested dolphin before it became UNA and it is relatively a good system to start your social media projects.

I tried a few ages ago but honestly, don't really like any of them. I guess there are some much better ones now though, although the good ones will have massive price tags behind them. 

They do exist but you got things like facebook, twitter etc. no one wants another social media platform, its getting cramped unless you have something new to bring to the table!

I've seen various social media based scripts on my travels across the internet but for the life of me I can't really understand why people would be purchasing these unless they wanted obviously a local solution for their website without resorting to the likes of Facebook and Twitter. Like a Facebook Workplace kind of deal but for their site. I get that, but I still don't see it being useful for anyone really unless they want to purchase the script to look at understanding how things work and how a 'base' Facebook is put together. That in itself would be quite interesting for me actually.