Sign in to follow this  
The Editor

Is Windows 10 really as horrible as they say?

I've heard a lot and I mean A LOT of negative talk about Windows 10. 

Of course, this was way back when Microsoft first released the operating system. I think they also made it free for a limited time if people upgraded to it. I remember some comments saying it was a trap and that you'd have to pay or something but I can't remember the details. 

Going back on topic, is Windows 10 really as horrible as people try to make it out to be? Was it bad when it launched and has improved as of today? 

I was one of the early people that got the free upgrade from a windows 7 ultimate, to be honest its true that when released it was very buggy and quite bloated in terms of the older operating system versions, i still hold the windows 10 license from the upgrade and it didn't cost me anything after the upgrade, but you had to upgrade within that limited free upgrade period which is a little trap due to fact most people loved windows 7, the way they made people upgrade was to suggest they was going to end support which forced people to upgrade.

To this day windows 10 has got a little better but still has many bugs here and there, the end result for me i ended up moving full time in linux and now only use windows virtually on VMware or Gnome Boxes as i only need a couple of windows applications here and there, Linux has majorly improved over the years and has remained lightweight and stable so i took the jump long time ago to say i never looked back.

I use Windows 10 on my working PC and I can say it's stable enough, sure sometimes it make me crazy, but it's same for server 🙂

As Alan I got the free upgrade from a Windows 7 Pro. I have all PC in home with Windows 10, not more complaining than Windows 7 (better not speaking 8, it was horrible)

I wouldn't say bad, as of now, only been using it Since the release on a daily basis, but I have found a few things that are annoying/frustrating.

-Themes - win 7 click more themes select and done. Win10 wants me to enter my email and log onto the store to DL and install themes, pretty much goes for everything, another annoying step in the DL process

-Scaling - I have a 2560x1440, most things scale decently, something like steam and other programs just get all blurry when windows tries to scale 125%. pretty sad I think

-Updates - I preferred win7 style where you could read and select or at least had that option, and same with the restarting thing

-Bloatware - Something that I hear allot, but isn't an problem for me! 

-Issues from in place upgrade - I got random issues like when the monitor went to sleep it wouldn't wake up, random lock ups, etc. I initially thought vid driver or something, but with some research............which still pointed to vid driver, googling win10 upgrade over windows 8.1 came back with a ton of hits. A fresh format and install seems to have rectified the weird issues.

-Gaming performance - I play older games, like original Borderlands, and others from the era, etc. I found my win7 machine with the antiquated hardware ran those old games just as well if not better than my new PC, then again those games were optimized for that hardware from that time.

-These 6 month Service Pack type updates. Chance for things to go south, and don't really get to see from the update what things have changed in the update window, have to go to MS and dig it up to see new features, etc. also can be a pain if the changes cause other programs not to function properly. (also a like since they are putting work into the OS)

-Auto win10 driver installs - have caused some grief, but mostly been decent - wish there was a way to put it in manual mode (probably is, haven't had time to dig through it yet)

-Telemetry and data gathering - I didn't get a PC so some company could use it as a data gathering/tracking/commercial ad device - it's mostly unobtrusive, but sometime it feels like someone put one of those wheel locks on your car - I was thinking about shut up 10, but have concerns about the PC going wonky if it can't "call home"

Likes (so far)
-The right click on the start, vs win 7.
-Modern, new, up-to-date, SSD optimizations vs Win7 among other under the hood changes compared to Win 7
-Support past 2020 vs win7
-Able to get latest ISO win 10 from MS website, better than doing a format with win 7 sp1, and DL about 200 updates at over 1.2GB

I wouldn't say that Windows 10 doesn't do the job anyway - certainly, in terms of operating systems it's probably not the 5 star standard but it does what I need it to do and that's all I can ask really. I got it at launch like I'm sure most did and yes, it wasn't super amazing at first but over the time it has improved and I think anyway, is a lot more stable than it was. At the end of the day though it does depend on your needs from an OS so it's all subjective in my view.

For everything I typically do, I generally haven't had much of an issue, other than the first year of bugs in the system after the free upgrade (was upgrading from 8.1, so 10 is better in that regards), and the issue of them not fixing the backwards compatibility until one of the last two recent major updates. I had a few programs that I wanted to run that I didn't want to be forced to purchase a digital copy to run, so I was stuck with other software till they finally got around to fixing the backwards compatibility.

• Like 1