Sign in to follow this  
The Editor

What's your opinion about GDPR?

Posted (edited)

GDPR sure received a lot of uproar when it became a thing. I'm not really a fan of Europe laws and I'm glad I don't live there. 

If you don't know what GDPR is:

DescriptionThe General Data Protection Regulation 2016/679 is a regulation in EU law on data protection and privacy for all individuals within the European Union and the European Economic Area. It also addresses the export of personal data outside the EU and EEA areas.

Source: Wikipedia.

I've heard how some trolls used this to hit forums, saying how they are GDPR experts and demanded stuff from forum owners. 

Of course, I'm going to comply but to a degree.

I wouldn't let them take advantage and listen to their demand to delete all content they have posted on a forum/website I own. If they have their real first and last name, I would of course remove that. I would tweak my terms to ban posting personal information such as phone number, address, etc. Then there are the other minor things like privacy policy, cookie notice etc. 

So yeah, what's your opinion about GDPR and what are you doing on your website(s) regarding it? 

Edited by The Editor

Privacy a important, but I think almost all Facebook user don't care about it 😄

GDPR is a pain, just too hard to make really good for an enterprise, I also think 90% of internet sites are not GDPR compliant.

To be honest, I work in marketing and it's been a complete pain in the backside. I can see why it's needed and from a personal level it's a great piece of legislation but from a professional level it's a nightmare when we're trying to handle data and prospect for potential clients. All the mass of forms we now have to get people to sign just to say we're OK to use their picture on socia media takes the biscuit for me really, all I had to do before was make sure they were OK with me being there and happy days!

For the most part though, I think we're all so used to such pervasive marketing techniques that we now just don't care as much. I can't say I've seen the spam emails stop since GDPR has come into force anyway.

It's annoying but I don't hate it. It's a nice added security measure that was probably going to be inevitable anyway with the way society is going. It bugs me that I have to abide by European rules while not being European or in Europe. But again, I get it. 

I understand why it's needed and why it came through but it has been extremely annoying for small and large sites. It's been awful for me as a blog owner so I can't imagine how much work must have been required for larger companies who have millions of users & customers to deal with and handle.

Honestly, I have never really liked it. And I've always understood that if I am going to post my personal information online, I am personally responsible for the actions because of that posting, and the only way to remove that, is to and get only those mentions deleted. If the whole thing of privacy is an issue, government shouldn't have to legislate something that is common sense. Post private information online, and it is automatically public, unless it is in encrypted areas where no general user can access.

It is the whole common sense argument of, you wouldn't post your address, telephone number or personal payments to the power company online now, would you? Now why would you want to post your personal information publicly, if you wanted it to be private in the first place?

• Like 1