Sign in to follow this  
MarteeBe

How would you ''close" your site?

Posted (edited)

There may has been a time at some point in your website life that you've had to make a decision to shut down a project. Be it your blog, a forum or a website you were looking to get off the ground. For me, I've had to do that many times and admit defeat in my relentless pursuit of website joy. However, when you've had a community use your site, post and create content, how do you manage that stage of shutting it down for good?

Do you take a look at redirecting your forum to another which might offer them the same vibe/information they got from your site? Would you let people know that you're shutting up shop? Perhaps if you're so inclined, you may want to offer certain members the chance to take the website on and continue what you started. For me, I always at least let people know what I was doing and gave them an idea of places they could go to continue their forum journey. It just felt the right thing to do.

Edited by MarteeBe

I've unfortunately had a few instances where I've either become bored or simply don't have the time to dedicate to a project. I usually try to find a new owner by selling the site and if that doesn't work, I will simply take some backups and close the site down.

I personally haven't experienced closing my own site down! I have been on allot of sites as an members that had to close down and as an member I went thought out the site and backup my content that I wanted to keep. One of my sites has been closed but it was never opened in the first place lol and so that's different.

• Find someone that is willing to run it for you as you still the owner
  • Sell it and hope for the best that who ever runs it keeps it alive
  • Do an full backup and close it and maybe in the future to open it again, just pay yearly for an unused domain.
  • Close it for good!

I have closed 2 sites down in the past and its not an easy choice i must admit but both where related to a niche that was too broad and complex for a lot of people to understand and too much going on, always make things simple so that your visitors know what is happening and content is easy to find.